PAGES

Birchbox UK April 2014 - Good Enough to Eat

Hi guys!

My April Birchbox successfully made it to my doorstep despite an address change and this month was a good'un!


 The theme this month is 'Good Enough to Eat' - Birchbox have apparently taken inspiration for April from "local food markets, the kitchen and all our favourite eateries". For a beauty box, a food-inspired theme may seem odd but actually I think it worked really well - lots of delicious fruity fragrances and one yummy edible item too. This month also saw Birchbox try something new where the customer can choose one of the products in their boxes (the shade of the nail polish). This was a good little feature, it made me feel like I was customising my box to my taste and also reminded me mid-month of my upcoming box so I could get all excited!

On to the contents!














One Love Organics Skin Saviour Waterless Beauty Balm - this is one of my highlights in this box. I had never heard of the brand but like their style, packaging and message. The balm smells incredible (think lemon sherbert) and rubs in without leaving any grease. This has become a handbag staple for me, you can use it for everything! The pot says you can use it as a cleanser or an all round moisturiser, it's nice on your lips, hands, face, elbows etc - I am a fan! This 15ml sample will go a long way and is worth £7.43.

Colour Club Nail Lacquer in Gold Struck - this was the customisable (new word?) item in the box, there were four colours to choose from online, all shimmery pastels and I went for this soft, rose gold shade. I think it will look gorgeous on beach toes in the summer! Can't comment on durability yet but not holding out massive hope, the instructions suggest using top and base coat to increase longevity which suggests they already know it could be an issue?! Comes as one in a pack of 4 normally, this individual shade works out as worth £3.75.

Campos De Ibiza Almendra Body Milk - unfortunately this is by far and away my least favourite item this month. Don't particularly love the packaging, the texture is fine, but the smell is nasty! Maybe it's me but it reminds me of old lady talc and cheap hotel shower gel - not something I want to be moisturising with... Definitely won't be rebuying although a good sized sample if you are a fan! Worth £3.14 for 38ml sample.

Propercorn Sweet Coconut & Vanilla Popcorn - I knew of this popcorn brand and have tried (and enjoyed) their savoury flavours so this was a welcome little treat. Had these at work and they reminded me of the scent of the old popcorn gel pen (anyone else know what I'm talking about? Anyone?!). The taste is actually really good, they are a low calorie snack and I also buy into the brand and packaging. No complaints here!

TheBalm Cosmetics How 'Bout Them Apples Cheek & Lip Cream in Pie - this item was a nice little surprise at the bottom of the bag which I really like. It's one shade of cheek/lip cream from a palette of six. I got the shade pie which is fine by me - it looks to be one of the most easily wearable colours and blends in well to my cheeks. I love the kitsch, vintage-style packaging and want to investigate what else TheBalm offer! Normally £26 for the palette so this single colour works out as £4.33.

Lord & Berry Silk Kajal Kohl Liner in Black - I somehow need to get a message across to Birchbox which politely asks for no more eyeliners in my box... Although I can see why so many people love having them to try out, I have come to the conclusion that I am just not an eyeliner girl. I mess it up, it looks heavy on me, it's a lot of effort etc etc etc (read: I'm too lazy). Anyway, as a product, this looks OK. It smudges off my hand fairly easily which would concern me if I wanted to wear it all day long but the colour is nice and I like the look of the brand. Not that bothered by this one, but not disappointed either. This sample is worth £1.50.

Overall, I actually really like this box, and it's worth a fair bit too. Love the postcards on the back of the tips, as well as the cupcake recipe and item highlights were the beauty balm and cheek/lip cream. What did you think of April's box? Would love to hear from you here or over on Twitter!

JAM x

6 comments:

  1. Wow, lots of lovely goodies. The Balm apples looks amazing. I now need this in my life haha. Great post hun.

    Hayley x
    Teapartybeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! And yes, defs check it out, packaging is SO cute!
      Mari x

      Delete
  2. Looks amazing! Love the good enough to eat idea.
    Check out my blog?
    Chloe // throughchloeslens.blogspot.co.uk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful goodies. looks great!!

    xoxo
    http://msvanvee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vhutali! I was pretty happy with this month :)! X

      Delete